was successfully added to your cart.


Welcome to the minefield that is liquor licensing and compliance in Australia! There are many rules, and just as many exceptions…

Everyone who pours alcohol in Australia, in any capacity, must have a Responsible Service of Alcohol qualification (RSA). Regulation around this is completely understandable (to a point) however each state has different, often contradictory and confusing requirements.

Lucky for you, we’ve spent many an hour navigating this frustrating world and have come up with, what we believe, to be simplest (and easiest) steps to gaining NATIONALLY ACCREDITED RSA CERTIFICATES to cover you for ALL states in Australia. **Victoria WILL accept any Nationally Accredited RSAs (even those earned via online training) for trade shows or events like ours, as long as it has the qualification numbers SITHFAB009A, SITHFAB201 or SITHFAB002 noted on the certificate.**

Please note this is correct as of January 2019 (requirements change regularly and we will update accordingly). Direct from the VCGLR website as well: “Interstate staff who are supplying liquor at wine and beer producers events, which are one-off or short-term events are no longer required to apply for mutual recognition if they have either a current Victorian RSA certificate or a Statement of Attainment from the Nationally Accredited Training unit, either SITHFAB009A, SITHFAB201 or SITHFAB002”.


Yes, there is a Nationally Accredited RSA scheme, that covers you for trade shows and events in ALL STATES (with the exception of NSW). However, the ACT will only accept National RSA’s issued in ACT. As a result, we recommend this National RSA training course as it will cover you for all states (excluding NSW).

NOTE: Make sure when you’re getting a certificate, that it has the qualification numbers SITHFAB002 noted on it.


Now you need to get another one as NSW will only accept NSW accredited RSA’s. To do this, you must either sit the course in person or via the NSW online training course here

Once you’ve earned your online RSA, you MUST visit a Service NSW Centre to convert your ‘statement of attainment’ certificate to a ‘Competency Card’.

This can only be done IN PERSON with the card itself taking up to 3 weeks to be delivered. However, you are covered by the certificate in the meantime (up to 3 months from issue).

We know, right. Cray.

NB – NSW no longer accept paper RSAs of any kind, other than these interim certificates, issued in the last 3 months. These certificates must be converted into a Competency Card within 3 months. If your certificate has expired, you can still convert it into a Competency Card, you just will not be covered in the meantime. The only other option is to resit the course at full cost again to get a new interim certificate – so make sure you get your card while you’re in NSW. Boo! 


Victoria WILL accept any Nationally Accredited RSAs (even those earned via online training) for trade shows or events like ours, as long as it has the qualification numbers SITHFAB009A, SITHFAB201 or SITHFAB002 noted on the certificate.

There’s a lot of conflicting information around this (just try and figure it out), but we have express WRITTEN CONFIRMATION from VCGLR that this is true.

If your course does not have the above aforementioned course numbers, you will need do an ONLINE BRIDGING COURSE (which is free).
You can do so HERE.

This bridging course needs to be completed every three years.


Finally,  if you’re selecting a different RSA provider, just make sure when choosing a Nationally Accredited RSA, they carry this logo.

Yes, we know. This is ridiculously annoying. We know it, we live it. But right now, this is what we believe to be the best (and quickest) way to navigate your way through the RSA madness and be able to pour your wine in every (nanny) state in Australia.

As an example, we collated 484 RSA in 2015 to cover the 225 wineries who took part in our (and managed) events. The joys.

We will update this post when new information comes to light.

The recent senate enquiry presented recommendations that states work together to make RSA nationally recognised. In the meantime, use the above.

Join the discussion 3 Comments

Leave a Reply to Darren Jahn Cancel Reply